We'd love to hear your ideas for the 2021 One Community, One Book selection. Complete this short nomination form to tell us your recommendation; you are welcome to complete the form more than once.
Selection criteria we use
The selected book should:
- Foster exploration and discussion of pressing human rights issue(s)
- Be inclusive and reflective of a diverse readership
- Be accessible to adults and high school students
- Lend itself to opportunities for meaningful local action
- Be available in paperback and preferably also unabridged audio, e-book, and large print
- Be published within the last five years
Strong preference is given to books in which the author is available and accessible to visit the Iowa City area for in-person readings and discussions.
Timeline for OCOB 2021
- January - March: push for nominations through online form
- March: UICHR in collaboration with community organizations such as area libraries, high schools, and the Iowa City City of Literature will choose a book.
- April: announce book choice
- April - August: plan fall 2021 events
- Fall 2021: events including book discussions and author visits will be held during this time
The coordinator of One Community, One Book is Colleen Opal. Please contact her with any questions.