Racial Equity & Human Rights: Activism, Dialogue, & Healing (June 5)
Recording of the Racial Equity & Human Rights webinar held on June 5 with Dean Adrien Wing, Mazahir Salih, Dr. Sherry Watt, Kingsley Botchway, and Dr. Mary Cohen.
Please look below the video for resources recommended by the speakers.
Audio only file
Resources recommended by speakers
- Black Liberation Reading Listcurated by the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture of the New York Public Library
- The Anti-Racist Reading List curated by Brea Baker
- An Antiracist Reading List curated by Ibram X. Kendi
- Books To Illuminate History of Racism in U.S. curated by Ibram X. Kendi
- Reading & Viewing List curated by the University of Iowa Black Law Student Association
- White Rage: The Unspoken Truth of Our Racial Divide by Carol Anderson (2016).
- White Fragility: Why It’s So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo (2018).
- How to Be Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi (2019).
- Black Child Savers: Racial Democracy & Juvenile Justice by Geoff K. Ward (2012).
Select articles & reports
- In 1919, the State Failed to Protect Black Americans. A Century Later, It’s Still Failing by Carol Anderson
- The Violence Is Not New, It’s the Cameras That Are New by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Democracy Now, Sept. 7, 2015
- What the Death of George Floyd Should Teach the Legal Industry by Bryan Parker
- The American Lawyer, June 2, 2020
- Guiding Principles on the Use of Force by the Police Executive Research Forum
- A Statement of Values for Our Research on Music in Peacebuilding: A Synthesis of Galtung and Ikeda’s Peace Theories by Olivier Urbain
- Journal of Peace Education, 218 (2016).
City of Iowa City
- Community Policing: https://www.icgov.org/community-policing
- Community Police Review Board: https://www.icgov.org/city-government/boards/community-police-review-board-cprb
- Crisis Intervention Training:
- Disproportionate Minority Contact Study:
- Government Alliance on Racial Equity: https://www.racialequityalliance.org/
- Iowa City Citizens Police Academy: https://www.icgov.org/citizenspoliceacademy
- Resolution on Reaffirming the City of Iowa City Law Enforcement Non-Discrimination Policy: https://www8.iowa-city.org/weblink/0/edoc/1585665/2017-05-16%20Resolution.pdf
- Resolution Reaffirming the Public Safety Function of Local Law Enforcement:
- Social Justice and Racial Equity Quarterly Updates to the community:
Toolkits and other resources
- Anti-racism resources for white people compiled by Sarah Sophie Flicker, Alyssa Klein in May 2020
- Hub for Music and Peacebuilding: Min-on Music Research Institute
- Know Your Rights (English) / Conoce Tus Derechos (Español) by Communities United for Police Reform
- Listen to Melanie DeMore, Vocal Activist (songwriter of “Lead with Love”) : Lyrics to Lead with Love: http://40w95614sn5m1jd0sb353zli.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/eugene/files/2017/04/Lead-With-Love-by-Melanie-DeMore.pdf
- Teaching Tolerance: Affirming Black Lives Without Inducing Trauma
- The Urgency of Intersectionality TEDtalk by Kimberlé Crenshaw
- Racial Equity Tools
- Surviving & Resisting Hate: A Toolkit For People of Color by Dr. Hector Y. Adames & Dr. Nayeli Y. Chavez-Dueñas
- Women of Color for Progress: Our Guide to Being an Ally