Jo Butterfield holds a Ph.D. in History and a Graduate Certificate in Gender, Women's, and Sexuality Studies from the University of Iowa. Her research focuses on the creation of modern human rights standards, particularly how feminist activism and ideas about gender shaped the creation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Jo has been involved with the Center since 2004, and even worked with the Human Rights Certificate program when it was first launched!
Courses taught in the Certificate
- Introduction to Human Rights
- History of Human Rights
- Global Crisis and Human Rights
- Topics in Human Rights: Human Rights at Iowa
- Topics in Human Rights: Democracy & Human Rights
- Historicizing Gender and Conflict, co-author with Elizabeth Heineman, in The Oxford Handbook of Gender and Conflict, Eds., Dina Haynes Fionnuala Ni Aoláin, Nahla Valiji, and Naomi Cahn