Our 2022 One Community, One Book is "An American Summer: Love and Death in Chicago" by best selling author, journalist, and documentary filmmaker Alex Kotlowitz.
This is a captivating collection of stories that will transform the way readers think about gun violence in America. Over the past 20 years in Chicago, 14,033 people have been killed and another 60,000 wounded by gunfire. The latest book by Kotlowitz examines the psychological toll gun violence takes on the spirit of individuals and communities.
Author Keynote & Book Signing
Friday, October 7 at 7:00 pm (CST)
W10 PBB at the University of Iowa
If you are interested in collaborating or co-sponsoring One Community, One Book during the fall, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Co-sponsors are invited to the pre-reception to meet the author prior to the public event!
The text is available many ways including:
- Borrow from UI Library, or your public library
- Buy from the UI Hawk Shop
- Borrow or buy online
Continue to learn more by watching the following recordings:
Listen to the following podcast episodes:
- This American Life, violence at Harper High School
- IPR's River to River, the burden of gun violence
- Last Day Podcast, third season
Have dialog and take action:
- Sign up for the OCOB community book club on Tuesday, October 18 from 6-7pm on Zoom
- College of Law students, sign up for the book club on either Tuesday, October 25 at 6pm or Tuesday, November 1 at 6pm
- Host your own book club using this community discussion resource
- Enroll in the Literature & Human Rights class starting October 26